"Skeletal fluorosis may affect school going children, resulting in bony deformities and radiological changes that mimic rickets."
- Bajpai A, Bardia A, Mantan M, Hari P, Bagga A - "Non-Azotemic Refractory Rickets in Indian Children" Indian Pediatrics 42:23-30 (2005)
"...reports have shown that fluorosis per se can cause genu valgum and rickets-like radiological features."
- Krisnamachari K -"Further observation on the syndrome of endemic genu valgum of South India" Indian J Med Res 1976;64:284-91 (1976)
"Osteofluorosis produces rickets-like lesions in bones, and a notable softening and discoloration of teeth, referred to as odontofluorosis."
- Weisbrode SE and Doige CE. Bones and Joints. In: Thomson's Special Veterinary Pathology, 3rd Edition. Mosby, pp 499-524 (2000)
"Rickets is most commonly caused by a deficiency in vitamin D or phosphorus. However, it may also result from chronic renal disease or chronic fluorosis."
- The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Department of Veterinary Pathology, Conference 2004-2005, December 2004
"Lingagudem...is a village of sufferers as over 70 per cent of the 1,200 people in the village are affected by arthritis or rickets, thanks to the high percentage of fluoride in the drinking water."
- Times of India - "Protected drinking water supply evades Lingagudem", July 11 (2001)
"The findings strongly suggest that children with calcium deficiency rickets reported in the literature should be re-investigated for possible fluoride interactions."
- Teotia M, Teotia SP, Singh KP - "Endemic chronic fluoride toxicity and dietary calcium deficiency interaction syndromes of metabolic bone disease and deformities in India: year 2000" Indian J Pediatr 65(3):371-81 (1998)
"All across Mandla, a district of a million or so people in eastern Madhya Pradesh, a steady stream of children have reported similar complaints since the late 1980s. But in this remote corner of central India, doctors hadn't heard of fluorosis. They instead diagnosed arthritis, polio, rickets, a genetic fault or simply a ‘mystery disease’. The link with water was never made."
Use of sodium fluoride [tablets]..."with vitamin D (in the multiple vitamins and fluoride preparations) may cause high blood levels of vitamin D, which may increase the chance of side effects."